1822: Territorial development

Caisse des Dépôts granted its first territorial development loan for the development of the Port of Dunkirk in 1822 and acquired, again for the first time, securities issued by Compagnie des quatre canaux.

Caisse des Dépôts would then participate in funding at all the key development and equipment stages of the country, making a massive contribution to the reconstruction of France after the Second World War.

The Local Authority Equipment Aid Fund (CAECL), created in 1966 to complete its funding via market funds, would give birth to the Crédit Local de France (CLF) in 1987. In 1996, the merger between Crédit Communal de Belgique and Crédit Local de France, created Dexia which is no longer part of the group.

In 2003, in support of territorial local authority development policies, Caisse des Dépôts strengthened its investments in sectors and territories not sufficiently covered by private stakeholders.

Haut de page