Montauban (61,452 residents), a town with a regional influence positioned in the centre of its living area (210,000 residents), is the first signatory of 24 towns selected for the Action Cœur de ville (City centre action) programme for the Occitanie region. The signing of the next agreements will concern Cahors and Albi, on 13 and 18 July respectively. The 21 other agreements will be signed in September after confirmation from the regional steering committee.
Despite its heritage wealth and its demographic growth (up 5% between 2010 and 2013), the Montauban town centre has, since 2014, been an urban planning policy neighbourhood: the share of single households there was 58.2% in 2011, compared to an average of 38.2% on a town scale. 34.4% of the population there is a CAF (Family Allocations Office) benefit claimant, compared to 21.7% on average in the town.
Following the undertaking of an initial study in advance, started in summer 2016, with a view to signing a City centre of the future agreement with Caisse des Dépôts, the town of Montauban identified workstreams to pursue and widen the actions initiated:
- Proposing an attractive offer in terms of housing,
- Developing the economy and business,
- Encouraging accessibility, mobility and connections,
- Promoting urban forms, public space and heritage,
- Encouraging everyone's access to equipment and public services,
- Contributing to the ecological transition,
- Making Montauban a smart city by developing digital technology.
The Action Cœur de ville (City centre action) programme of Montauban combines all of the expectations of the programme, it is the result of a close and constructive partnership with the partners of the programme on a local level Sstate services, Banque des Territoires, Action Logement and Anah).